Saturday, September 2, 2017

Midnight Crossroad by Charlaine Harris

★★★★✩
Midnight is a small Texan town with one stoplight keeping it alive. The residents are a close knit group of people with secrets and ties to the supernatural. When a body shows up and threatens the peace they’ve established they must come together to find the person responsible. Midnight Crossroad is the first book in the Midnight, Texas trilogy.

I decided to read Midnight Crossroad after getting into the TV show adaptation and getting impatient between episodes. It was fun to read the source material and take notice of what was changed or left out.

It took me a while to get used to the prose initially. The short multi layered descriptions were a bit jagged and felt odd to read. It eventually evened out after a few chapters. From which point it was an engaging and fast paced story.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading the story. It made me even more fond of the characters I had already grew to like. The characters were all interesting and I loved that the story highlighted and included all of them without becoming confusing.

Though I enjoyed the television series there were so many moments and scenes in the book I wish were included. The book has respectively less drama and the supernatural elements are focused on less. Despite the differences it’s a solid story that comes across more convincing because the magical aspects are woven in gradually.

I felt the author had a great grasp of telling a murder mystery. The added supernatural elements seemed a bit subdued but added a fun interesting twist.

Midnight Crossroad is a fun quick read that blends elements of urban fantasy with an engaging murder mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment