Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Organ Reapers by Shay West

★★★★
Detective Eli Robbins is trying to adjust to having Ava Aguilar as a new partner after months of relying only on himself. Their first case together is bizarre and perplexing. Bodies are being discovered with their organs missing. The only leads are eye witness accounts of a bright flash of light. Similar cases are being reported internationally and the death count continues to rise but the only possible explanation is bordering on science fiction.
 
Organ Reapers is an urban fantasy with a portal murder mystery. The story wasn't as dark as I expected it to be. I enjoyed reading it because it was somewhat reminiscent of the crime dramas I enjoy watching. The portal element gave it a refreshing and unique twist that was fun and added a different form of suspense. 

I immediately liked Eli and Ava's characters. As the lead detectives on the case it was interesting seeing how they tried to make sense of the situation. Their frustration was palpable and I loved how they utilized modern technology receiving questionable results in return. I liked the partnership they established and their witty interplay was fun to read. Though there was attraction between them I liked that it remained subtle and didn't interfere with the story. They made a good team and shared similar values which made me wish there were more cases for them to solve so I could continue reading about them. 

Keena and Tani were young and idealistic characters that offer a different perspective on the situation. Though I didn't want to like them, I eventually ended up caring for them as well. I liked that their narrative portions had a distinctly different voice in comparison to Eli and Ava. It was more youthful and their attraction to each other was given more focus. It was fun and amusing seeing them react to the modern world as their world resembles the medieval era with steam technology. I thought their world's political structure, culture, and need for organ harvesters was interesting. I really wanted to see more of their world but a majority of the book is spent in Eli and Ava's world.

Through the course of the story all the characters face difficult moral dilemmas with often harsh consequences. At times it even made me question my own thoughts and values. As a result I was nervous for everyone involved and worried about the outcome. The ending plays on this drama nicely and wraps up the story without any loose ends.

[Note: I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. I have since personally purchased it.]

No comments:

Post a Comment