Monday, August 11, 2014

Night Of The Chupacabra by Michael Hebler

★★★ 
Years have passed since Drake and his family were attacked by a mysterious creature that left him horribly scarred and his once happy life in shambles. Drake arrives at a small town in hopes of reuniting with his wife but the town keeps its secrets close and the creature is still hunting him. This is the first book in the Chupacabra series.

Night of the Chupacabra is a fun and suspenseful western story. It took me a few chapters to adjust to the omniscient narration. The story has elements of horror but the violence is more action oriented rather than descriptively gory. It shows a different rendition of the chupacabra that has a more mystical origin without a specific preference for its blood source.

The story was an interesting and different reading experience for me. All the characters were flawed but their deception and hostility towards the main character creates a story where he desires retribution. At times the presence of the chupacabra is eclipsed by the other characters' animosity. I liked that the main character had to be wary of not only his connection with the chupacabra but also the remaining townspeople. A lot of characters die in suspenseful action scenes devoid of excessive gore and dark undertones. It was somewhat reminiscent of films where the slasher villain becomes the antihero and I had fun reading the story for this reason.

Due to my ethnicity, I'm always apprehensive of any type of media that portrays Native Americans. Though I question the need for one character to represent two different ethnic groups, the presented chupacabra origin mythos narrowly avoids being offensive by being vaguely simplistic and bound within western stereotypes. I did roll my eyes but I'll admit the chupacabra's connection with its hunter made for interesting drama and I liked the complexity connected to killing it.

Overall, I enjoyed reading Night of the Chupacabra it was an engaging and suspenseful western story where both the creature and the people were at times equally monstrous.

Related Posts:
Curse of the Chupacabra (Chupacabra, #2)
Legend of the Chupacabra (Chupacabra, #3)

No comments:

Post a Comment