Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Child Of A Hidden Sea by A.M. Dellamonica

★★★✩✩
Sophie rescues her estranged aunt from being attacked only to find herself swept away to a strange yet familiar world. Stormwrack appeals to her inquisitive and adventurous nature but the more questions she asks about her family ties the more she is met with opposition and threatened with exile. A political conspiracy gives her the opportunity to further explore the world she's become fascinated with and forge her own place within it.

Child Of A Hidden Sea is a combination of familiar fantasy tropes within a wonderful setting. I loved the world building within this book. Stormwrack is an alternate earth with larger seas, numerous islands, fantastical creatures, diverse cultures and a honor based legal system. It's an intriguing mixture of familiar and new. I liked how the magic system was simple but had numerous effects. The portal connection was vaguely explained but I enjoyed how it created additional opportunities and complications with the incorporation of modern technology. The world building was further enhanced by the main character having a scientific outlook and inquisitive personality.

I loved these elements of the story and I thought it had a strong beginning. However, the story soon settled and lost some of it's charm for me. Mainly to do with characterization inconsistencies of the main character. I didn't care much for the sleuthing aspects of the investigation or subsequent trial. Overall, I thought Child Of A Hidden Sea was an okay story that possessed wonderful world building.

[Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher, Tor Books, through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.]

No comments:

Post a Comment