Friday, June 20, 2014

Dangerous Reflections by Shay West

★★★★
Alexis Davenport is trying to adjust to her dramatically altered life after her father walks out on the family. Destitute, Alexis and her mother move to a new town relying on the generosity of a relative. Alexis starts high school where she makes new friends and develops a crush that results in a bully becoming fixated on her. Meanwhile, the disruptive manipulation of historical events forces hidden abilities within Alexis to surface along with an altered reflection that draws her into the past. This is the first book in The Adventures Of Alexis Davenport trilogy.

Dangerous Reflections is a charming and dramatic young adult novel with an interesting take on time travel. I enjoyed the time travel portions of the story the most. I loved that the story explored different eras of history. The historical settings, characters, and cultures were vividly portrayed in addition to possessing story lines that were intriguing and suspenseful. I was pleasantly surprised to find myself taking a legitimate interest in learning history due to Alexis' personality and enthusiasm.

A majority of the book has a contemporary feel that kept my attention by having dramatic conflict with great characterization. Alexis is a teenager that has to deal with the pressures of high school in addition to family problems. Her character was frustrating at times but I enjoyed seeing her grow and develop as the story progressed.

I adored the supporting characters and the relationships they formed with the main character. The school antagonists were gasp worthy vindictive. There were a few messages about dealing with bullying I didn't agree with because they felt too understated to me. However, I liked that it portrayed Alexis as gaining confidence with the more trials she faced and overcame.

The other antagonists were mysterious and I'm curious to see what their main goal and agenda is. The time traveling aspect was only partially explained so I'm looking forward to reading more about it along with their unique abilities.

There are few times when third person omniscient narration is used. It wasn't excessive but it stood out as odd to me mainly because I rarely come across it. It gave an interesting rounded experience to the highly charged emotional conflict. The story is fast paced and the drama never lets up completely creating an engaging story that made me feel a myriad of emotions as it progressed through each scene.

I especially liked that it explored various issues like divorce, bullying, dating, and identity with a wholesome yet mindful perspective. I appreciate that it didn't get too heavy and the scenes were well balanced. So while it might take an agnsty tone transition to sadness there was always a lighthearted fun scene before returning to the suspenseful action.

Dangerous Reflections is a wonderful young adult novel that weaves historical and contemporary themes into an engaging dramatic story and I look forward to continuing the trilogy.

[Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.]

Related Posts:
Twisted Reflections (Adventures of Alexis Davenport, #2)
Desperate Reflections (Adventures of Alexis Davenport, #3)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the review and I'm glad you enjoyed adventuring with Alex! :D

    ReplyDelete