Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill

★★★★✩
A dark intriguing novel about an aging rock star that has to deal with the repercussions of purchasing a ghost with a vendetta.

Heart Shaped Box is a story with rich descriptive prose. In the beginning I felt the prose was a bit convoluted and it took me a quarter of the book to get used to the author’s style. The detailed prose controlled the pacing of the story allowing a deeper sensory immersion.

I felt an odd disconnection with the main character perhaps because he was in his head most of the time with very little dialogue. I ended up caring more for his dogs and the secondary characters. All the characters had interesting back stories that I enjoyed reading about.

The horror elements were heavy in the beginning bordering on surreal then dulled to interweave with the more mundane atrocities humans are capable of. The vivid details and symbolism left a strong impression. Overall, I enjoyed the story and was surprised by the pleasant ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment